7.22.2016

Challenge #14 Inspiration with Varada


Hi friends,

Varada here, with some inspiration for challenge #14.


I made a wedding themed shaker card using the chalk board technique and added some intricate die cuts for embellishments. Yes, as you guessed, I went with the horizontal middle row.

I started with the intricate Vintage Flourishes, Leaf 2 dies from Joy Crafts. I cut them out of some white and green cardstock. These flourishes have very tiny pieces which I poked out of the die cut using a piece of wire. Spellbinders' tool-n-one would have been very handy here :-) I also cut out one more swirly using one of Spellbinders dies. I layered all these together offsetting each of them slightly and attached a confetti butterfly on top. This became my main embellishment.
Next I cut out a scripty patterned paper to be the same size as my card front. I also cut out a black fun foam to be the same size. I positioned the embellishment in one corner of the scripty paper just to get an idea of where I want my frame to be, and die cut the frame for my shaker using Simon Says Stamp stitched rectangle dies. While die cutting, I layered the fun foam under the patterned paper so I could cut both the layers at the same time and get exact positioning. I did not adhere the two layers together though, as I wanted to add a layer of acetate in between.
For creating the chalk board look, I used a black card base and stamped the sentiment using Hero Arts white pigment ink. This ink tends to get really faint once it dries, so I knew I would need to add multiple layers. To help with exact positioning, I used my MISTI. I laid down the card front and the open frame in the MISTI and positioned my stamp exactly where I wanted it. Then I removed the frame (lest I accidentally smudge it with ink) and stamped my sentiment 3-4 times using the white pigment ink. I also added some faint smudges of the same ink on the black card front just to give an impression of chalk board.
I sandwiched a piece of acetate in between the fun foam frame and the outer patterned paper frame. To this shaker, I added some shiny white / silver sequins of various sizes and adhered it to my card base. Finally I added my centerpiece (or corner-piece) and called this card complete!
The chalk board part of this card really had me thinking. Mainly because my cards are usually colorful and black or chalk board color is very minimal. But I am glad I tried it out because of this challenge. I love how this turned out!!
Hope you like this card and are inspired to try something like this too. Don't forget to share with us what you make.
Hugs,
~Varada

1 comment:

  1. Varada, this is such a beautiful wedding card! I love the white and silver sequins, so perfectly paired with the elegant black card base. I love how this turned out, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment!